Today we learn about the shepherds…
Our memory verse so far is:
“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life…”
The Bible verses are:
8 And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. 9 An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. 10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. 12 This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”
13 Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,
14 “Glory to God in the highest heaven,
and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”Luke 2:8-14, NIV
What should you teach them?
This is what I tell my kids:
- Yesterday we read about Mary and Joseph as they to Bethlehem to be counted for the emperor’s census. Baby Jesus was born there, and placed in a manger full of hay. There were no rooms left in any of the inns!
- Today we are taken to a nearby field where shepherds are taking care of sheep. These shepherds are working at night-time. There are still many people today who work at night. It is a very difficult but very important job to work at night! It may have been night-time, but the sheep still needed to be watched!
- An angel of the Lord appeared to them! We don’t know whether this was Gabriel or another angel, but this angel said those same words that Gabriel said to Zechariah and Mary, “Do not be afraid!”
- The angel brought a message of great joy. The angel told them that a savior was born in the nearby town of David. They knew that this town was Bethlehem and they knew that the savior the angel spoke of must be the promised Messiah!
- The angel then told the shepherds that the savior would be a baby, wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger. The angel told them this so that they would be sure they had found the right place. It was also such a strange and specific sign that the shepherds were sure to believe what the angels had said when they found the baby Jesus.
- After the angel gave them the message, many angels appeared in the sky like an angel army or an angel choir. They are called the heavenly host and they praised God together and then proclaimed a blessing on God’s true people.
- As usual, we end with a prayer! My 5-year-old wanted to lead again. She’s on a roll!